Monday, November 19, 2007

Students Against Destructive Decisions

http://www.sadd.org/

Students, like parents, are taking action to prevent their peers from drinking and driving.

A letter to SADD:

November 27, 2007


SADD National

255 Main
Street
Marlborough, MA 01752

1-877-SADD-INC

Fax 1-508-481-5759

To Whom It May Concern:

My name is Gillian Liddicoat and I am currently an 18-year-old freshman at Eckerd College. I support the Students Against Destructive Decisions program but several things have startled me when I looked at your website.

The SADD online webpage states: “SADD does not believe that it is possible to break the law responsibly. SADD and its chapters do not support or condone activities that encourage or enable the use of alcohol by underage young people, including the following activities: Designated Driver programs for underage young people and Safe Rides programs.” I believe, on the other hand, that programs that involve a designated and sober driver are extremely worthwhile.

The SADD mission claims that it seeks not to alienate those who make destructive decisions, but rather to inform and educate them of the harms and dangers of the decisions that they make. If for some reason a student decides to make a poor decision of drinking underage, why would it not be a good decision to designate a driver to stay sober? Ultimately staying sober would be the best and smartest decision, but if staying sober to help out a friend would be the case, is that a crime? I just find it strange that a decision to be a designated driver would be the wrong decision to make.

I hope that you understand where I am coming from with my point of view. As a college student I fully support most of SADD’s efforts because I would like my peers and fellow students to acknowledge wrong decisions. Thank you for your time and I would love to hear your feedback.
Gillian Liddicoat

Eckerd College
P.O. Box 1085
4200 54th Ave. S.
Saint Petersburg FL 33711

No comments: